Sunday, March 4, 2018

Sarah Silverman is a Woman

Sarah Silverman reportedly wore just a bra under her sport coat at the Independent Spirit Awards. It's a better attention getting option than her attempting to be funny I guess. When in doubt just show your boobs. Ask Chelsea Handler or Amy Schumer. You see those two linked stories? They're almost exactly two years apart and that's why I don't like stand up comics. Every new comic - man or woman -  thinks they're edgy and original but they aren't. They all share basically the same brain and think they're the first ones to do anything. Oh sure they may be the "conscience of a generation" but each generation is dumber than the last so that ain't saying very much. George Carlin's 1972 "seven words" bit is just basically the same crap that got Lenny Bruce arrested a decade earlier. Who did it before them? Steve Allen? Probably. Will someone do something like it again? Almost certainly. 

 It's really just reworked and reheated. Oh sure it sounds different but you've heard it all before. Or at least you have if you weren't born in the last 18 years. You have to remember that in the late 80's guys like Andrew Dice Clay sold out stadiums. Not clubs, or theaters but stadiums. I remember Andrew Dice Clay selling out two shows at what is now the Allstate Arena. A place where people like Beyonce, AC/DC or Guns 'N Roses regularly perform. And that was just in Illinois. So what some people think is funny, might be something you don't find even chuckle worthy. I have nothing against comics personally, I know some stand up comics and they're very nice people. But I'm not looking to them to "stand up to the man". Something someone like Sarah and her friends do regularly. It doesn't carry any weight with me.

 And so now every time some kid wakes up and discovers Bill Hicks I have to hear about it despite the fact that he's been dead for two decades (full disclosure I saw Bill Hicks live and was a huge fan and I happened to be at this very show). I used to laugh until my sides ached at just about anything Bill Hicks said. Then a few years back I watched some videos of him on You Tube and I sat there stone faced like one of those big heads on Easter Island. And really the jokes could be told in a club tomorrow and still be pretty relevant. So I don't know, maybe I'm just getting older. Or maybe comics just aren't really very funny anymore. And I don't think being a man or a woman comes into play at all. You're either funny, or you're not. Sex, color or religion have zero to do with it. On the other hand at least unoriginal female comics have boobs. Can't be funny? Whip 'em out. It's a good fall back position. Anyway, enjoy Sarah Silverman's boobs I guess. They're definitely better than her "comedy".