Saturday, August 17, 2019

Mariana Atencio is Latina

Mariana Atencio says a former manager at MSNBC told her to "not to dress too Latina"before she attended the White House Correspondence Dinner.
According to Atencio, she received a phone call from a female boss prior to the event. The boss reportedly said, "Mariana, I just wanted to make sure you're prepared for such a prestigious gathering," and went on to ask the correspondent about her choice in clothing. "Please don't look too Latina.
By the way the boss? She's a woman. I'd say this is less about being insensitive and more about somebody telling you to dress like a grown up when you go to the White House, and not like you're attending your cousins QuinceaƱera.  Nobody asks you something like this out of the blue. Maybe she had a reputation for dressing like a Central American soccer fan at a World Cup match.

 "...She previously had planned to wear colors honoring her South American heritage" 
 Oh? Is that what she was planning to do? I live in Chicago, and I see guys and girls every day, dressed literally like the Mexican flag, the Puerto Rican flag, the Polish flag, the Italian flag...you name it. It's a little weird, imagine walking around dressed like the American flag.  Weird, but it's fine with me, you could dress like Howdy Doody for all I give a shit but maybe your major news organization doesn't want you to show up at the the epicenter of geopolitical power dressed like a caricature. I spent 20 minutes looking for the right picture of Mariana Atencio to use for this and I'll be honest, as far as I'm concerned she can dress however she wants that would be just fine with me. 

 And also to be fair I imagine her snotty New York boss probably thinks this is what all Latina women look like. But really, mostly what some of you people really need to do is grow the fuck up.