Friday, April 19, 2024

Go Back to the Machine


 Yeah he's right. despite what all of the replies say, because they don't know anything, trust me. I've been saying this for three years now. You should all be back in the office. I can't believe we're even having this discussion in mid-2024. 97% of you simply aren't built to be working on your own. You all need to be herded back into those buildings like the mindless cattle you are, so you can be paid to answer emails or read spreadsheets while wearing khakis and a golf shirt or whatever the fuck you do, while some office manager named April, or Beth, or Mark keeps an eye on you. My neighbor "works from home" and he spends all day walking his dog up and down the street. I don't even know what he does, but I hope it isn't designing airplanes, or bridges. 

You all have a herd mentality. It's not really as bad as I make it sound, we need you, the way some flowers need ants so they can blossom. But it's also why you'll cheer for college basketball teams that play for schools you didn't attend, or baseball teams from cities where you don't live. It's why traffic slows to a crawl to look at the shiny blinking lights that act like some weird beacon to you, while some cop gives a guy a ticket for posting crap on Facebook while driving. It's simply how you are. It defines your very existence. And it's okay. Accept it.

And the real fact of the matter is, it takes a special kind of person to be isolated at home like that. It's something innate that you can't really develop. Plus it takes years and years of practice. How do I know this? Because for most of my adult working life I owned my own businesses and I know what it means to work alone. I know it means that my very survival depends on me being motivated to actually work as opposed to watching 1970s era Match Game on the Game Show Channel while you occasionally move the computer mouse back and forth so the ever watching Eye in the Sky doesn't get you fired for non-performance.  

So I've had co-workers, and I've had no co-workers, and for me, no co-workers is best, as I am absolutely incapable of being a team player. And believe me I tried. I want to be normal like you. But I've been working "from home" since quite literally the early 2000s, and I know from experience that most of you aren't qualified for that. It's really that simple. 

Going "to the office", whether it's in a building or in a farm field, or building pyramids, it's how humans have worked since humans existed, and certainly how they've worked for the last 200 years. 

It's not your fault that you're a cog in the machine, it's how you were raised. By your parents, your family, and by school.  So you should go out there and be the best cog in the machine you can be, because the machine needs cogs so it can function. 

You should actually feel very proud. So get on that train or sit in traffic for 90 minutes on the way to your cubicle and go get 'em tiger