Saturday, May 1, 2021

Elon Musk Owns SNL


 Elon Musk is supposed to host SNL on May 8th. I really don't get why this is happening, I sort of like the guy I guess. I don't think he's bad, or good, I suppose I'm really mostly indifferent to him but they asked him to do it and he said okay. But. I guess some of the cast is upset?  It's been said if they want to opt out of the show they can, which to me seems to be the antithesis of comedy, but then, SNL is the antithesis of comedy and has been for a literal generation, so it kind of figures. 

 I don't really know why, but some of the cast are, or were (but have since deleted tweets etc) sharing memes of Bernie Sanders and the usual teenaged style commie internet garbage you see every day, and have seen since the 1990s because they don't like the fact that Elon Musk is "insanely wealthy" and they don't like the fact that they would ask him to host "during the time of Covid", whatever the fuck that means. 

So I was curious and I looked at some of the wealth of the few SNL cast members who's names I recognized..


Here are the reported net worths of the few I bothered to sample...

Kenan Thompson - $13 million 

Kate McKinnon - $9 million

Pete Davidson - $6 million 

Aidy Bryant, you know, the one that shared the Bernie Sanders quote that she deleted - $4 million

 

They all seem pretty insanely wealthy to me but I suppose that's a relative measure. There are 18 million people - that's about 5% of the population - listed as having a million dollars or more in the US and at least four of them are currently on SNL. Do you have $13 million dollars like Kenan Thompson does?  How about $4 million? If you added up all of your money and everything you owned would it add up to $4 million dollars like Aidy Bryant has? Do you even know how much $4 million dollars is? If someone handed you $4 million dollars right now, and you didn't buy a new Ferrari once a week, you and your future kids would probably never have to work another day in your lives. I bet every single thing you owned including your house wouldn't add up to even a 16th of that. Those people all seem insanely wealthy to me. Maybe they should kick everyone off of SNL that has more than a few hundred dollars in the bank. It's worth a try who would even notice at this point. And besides they're all insanely wealthy so it's not like they would suffer.