Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Jewl Celebrates a Milestone


 People are talking about Jewel again. Mostly because she still looks good and she's - !!GASP!! - 46 years old. And she does look good, although I have to be honest, I can see the whole "Thinks She's a Witch and has a lot of Garden Gnomes and Windmills that Look Like Flowers in her Yard" look creeping up on her. It's probably the bandana scarf under the jauntily angled hat. $20 says she spends most of her time painting and talking to her little mushroom friend now. I only vaguely remember Jewel and the one song she had back in the 90s, which it turns out is why they're talking about her. Her album "Jangle Rock for Wanna be Hippies" or whatever it was called was released 25 years ago. 

I remember this weird BIG TIME 90s fad wherein people ran around playing hacky sack, played with juggling sticks, and painted "Ban the Bomb" signs everywhere. Tie dyed shirts made a huge comeback and they all pretended to be hippies. But they also wore a lot of flannel and listened to Nirvana, got drunk a lot and went to Guns and Roses and Green Day concerts when punk made a blissfully short comeback, so it was a very weird time. "Alternative Rock" was sort of the new catch phrase and somehow Jewel got thrown into the mix, but I have no idea how. Probably because she was really cute.  This is the song she was known for. I have to admit, while I was searching for it on YouTube, I had a hard time remembering which one it was since they all Jewel songs sound mostly the same to me. 

Anyway, happy 25th anniversary Jewel Album I don't remember.